Monday, September 24, 2007

Book Review: My Sister's Keeper



OK I am interjecting a book review. Which I would normally deem too boring, but trust me - I wouldn't write this up if I didn't LOVE this book!

I read a LOT. If I am really into it, a book a week....if it just okay, a book every other week. Sometimes I have more than one book going at once which I try not to do - but it happens often because the mood will strike me and if my book isn't there I just buy another one and go to town.

I really like chick lit that doesn't mean very much or add to my substance in any way. To balance this out, I sort of try to read one semi-intelligent book per 2 chick lit books. Normally that consists of biographies of Henry VIII's wives, or Marie Antoinette (not sure why this stuff facsinates me, but it does), but this time I read My Sister's Keeper by Jody Picoult.

Here is a short synopsis from Jody Picoult's website:


Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?

It is really a thought provoking and emotional book. I was in tears througout the novel and it really left me feeling unsettled in a good book sort of way. I have heard many people talk about this book in the past (at my hairdresser's most often) but it wasn't until I was up north this weekend at Brian's grandparent's house and Grandma just got done with this book that I finally went for it. I typically try to steer clear of books that I know will make me sad since I like to be happy. But I don't regret reading it and can't wait to read more from Jody Picoult. I can't recommend it enough!

ENJOY!

5 comments:

Chrissy, Jess, & Baby Lena said...

I expect this will be in my next shipment?

Sarah said...

I loved this book. I never cry at books...but I can honestly say I was balling from this book. Great read...this book is the one that got into reading Jodi Picoult.

Courtney said...

I really like chick lit that doesn't mean very much or add to my substance in any way.
That sums up my reading to a tee! I have also heard about this book from others, might have to give it a try. Thanks for the review!

RACHEL said...

I have owned this book for about two or three years now and have never managed to actually read it. I started it once or twice but for whatever reason have never finished it. But you've got me inspired...

Anonymous said...

I loved this book!