Thursday, November 29, 2007

Meet My Friends

I am not even sure how to sum up the wedding I had the priviledge of attending this Thanksgiving Day weekend. Accompanied by Chrissy, Rachel, Marcie, Kemely and Emily, we attended the waterside nuptials of our dear friend, Ashley, in the Bahamas. But before I try to post about what an amazing time we had, I will post seperately about this first, because this is a sort of serious tribute to these ladies and Ashley deserves a post all about herself and all about her beautiful wedding.

Some of my hometown and college friends wonder where these names came from? And rightfully so since I don't talk about them in real life too often. However, more and more their names come up naturally in my everday discussions and so it is about time I shed some light on our friendships.

Admittedly, we all met under odd and even dorky circumstances. We were all engaged around the same time in late 2005/early 2006 and subsequently were all planning late 2006 or 2007 destination weddings. As you know, my wedding was not destination, but logistically, it was out of town for me and so that is where these women came in handy. I started chatting with these girls through the wonder that is The Knot about favors, dresses, and how to get your dress on a plane. With all of us bouncing ideas back and forth daily, it was only natural that conversations took a turn to include personal information about ourselves. How many siblings did we have, what did our fiance's/husbands do, is anyone else's mother-in-law driving each other crazy? Et cetera. So yes, I have Internet friends. There! I said it!

I have grown to know these women over the past year and while some will say, "How can you form real friendships that way?" or "They are not your friend, I am your friend." I say to you that these women have checked in on me non-stop. They have followed up when I had a bad day or personal problems, and they have shared their entire lives with me throughout this time. So yes, prior to meeting them in person, I did/do count them as real life friends. They are just as important to me as any friend could be and the more I get to talk to them the more that friendship grows.

If you are my sorority sister, or have ever been in a sorority or fraternity of your own, you can understand how bonds are formed in a blink of an eye and how you are sort of taken aback at how one common thread can hold a group together. It is the same exact sort of thing that I experienced being a part of Kappa Delta.

So from now on, I will no longer be saying the words, "Ashley, she's my friend from The Knot, said that...." [insert appropriate name]. So learn their names and adjust people! ;)

To Ashley, Chrissy, Rachel, Marcie, Kemely and Emily, I am so happy to have been able to get to know you over the past year plus, and I am thrilled to have been able to share this past weekend with you. I "get" the MSP thing now and why you all felt so bonded. So I guess I am late on all of the warm and fuzzies and that you all are ahead of my game, but I just adore you all and had the most fun I have had this weekend since my wedding!! So thank you for that! I am so lucky to have you all to lean on!

As we know, there are others like the above mentioned girls that hopefully one day I will get to see too and after seeing how wonderful it was to spend time with the others, I am that much more eager to see you all again or for the first time.

So before I blog about the most amazing wedding I have ever attended -- Come! Meet my friends!

Marcie, Ashley, Kemely, Chrissy, STACY, Rachel and Emily!



5 comments:

Ashley said...

Awwwww! This post was so sweet! Love you!

RACHEL said...

It was soooooo nice to finally meet you in person, Stace! And I'm so happy that we got to hang out and get to know each other even better. Next time the craptastic Michigan winter has you feeling blue, hop a plane to sunny SoCal and come shopping with me! You know you have bedroom (and probably even some sloppy doggie kisses from Mason) waiting for you anytime!

Smooches!

Chrissy, Jess, & Baby Lena said...

That brought tears to my eyes. (surprise, surprise)

Sarah Gemba said...

That is so nice Stace! And LOL at the "initial" dorkiness of the Knot... ;)

Something would be terribly wrong in the world if you and I don't get to meet one of these days...and I look very much forward to it! ((HUGS))

Mary said...

Sounds like you girls had an amazing time - I really hope to meet some of you someday!